Monday, December 29, 2014

Repotting a Ficus Burtt-Davyi

 Original Post Date:
12/6/2014
Where I live, the leaves on maples and elms are changing colors because of the cold weather.
It is the wrong time of year to repot a ficus because of this cold weather.  A ficus is a tropical plant, which means you are suppose to repot it in the spring and summer.  But I am going to take the risk of repotting it..
The tree I am repotting is a Ficus Burtt-Davyi.  This tree has been in this tiny pot for many years.  The tree is a relative of our original Ficus Burtt Davyi.  Working on a baby from the original Burtt Davyi, Mike Cartrett suggested that this root be put in a pot and that if it is planted above ground, it will grow leaves and branches.  The part that is underground will grow roots.  The tree mostly grew roots above the pot.  It grew some branches and leaves, but not many.
The reason I'm repotting this tree in this time of year is because it is not healthy.  If I wait any longer to repot this tree, I could risk loosing this tree.
Below is what a healthy Burtt-Davyi should look like:
PicturePicture From Google. Search Ficus Burtt Davyi

Back to work.  I rinsed off the broken down bonsai soil and got these roots.
There are some big tap roots, but I am not going to mess with them because it is not the right time of year.  I put the tree in a pot and added some fresh soil to it.  Here is the after photo, I did change the front.
Picture

Hope you have learned about Burtt Davyi's (by clicking the link) and when to repot tropical trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment